FULL SPEECH OF UNN VC, PROF BARTHLOMEW OKOLO DURING FAREWELL VISIT UNEC CAMPUS TODAY




"As I came in, I saw the very well-dressed gentlemen and ladies.  As if that was not enough, I came in and saw the distinguished students… I remember when we went to university in the 70’s. Then, when you return to your village or town, you are distinguished. Your disposition is different and that is what I see in this place today… That is why wherever I go, I tell my staff to be well dressed. Imagine if teachers went for lectures wearing slippers. That would leave nothing for the students to emulate.
I felt encouraged when I heard the Supervising Dean say that I am stepping aside. It is more comforting to say I am only stepping aside. I am not retiring. I am still a ‘young boy’. (laughs)
In the process of my stay in this school, I did not get the opportunity to interact with my staff. In many universities, the Vice-Chancellor is usually the head of faculty boards. I did not have the opportunity to visit faculty boards. I have visited more than 100 universities all over the world. We are a typical gem. In other parts of the world, the responsibility of a vice chancellor is organization of staff and students. In Nigeria, the responsibility of a vice-chancellor is much beyond that. Here, the vice chancellor has municipal responsibilities like building roads, and structures, which can be a major distraction which could elude you of the major responsibility of a vice-chancellor. That is why I am very grateful to have this interaction with staff and students of this campus.
I want to thank you all for your help all these past years. Many of you have served as deans and departmental heads and your modest efforts have contributed in ensuring the success of my administration, which I believe that every faculty benefited from.
As we progressed, one of our major priorities was internationalization. This is because in this century, any institution that is not internationalized cannot achieve excellence. That was why we made it a priority in my administration.
On the issue of infrastructural development, we have done our bit. This campus will benefit the Centre of Excellence and more facilities to power this campus as soon as the project is commissioned in a few months. Also, there is an ongoing construction of a wellness centre…a diagnostic centre which will provide health services to staff and students.
I am sure that many members of the staff are happy with the policy of quality of publications in this university. I believe that members of the staff that have travelled across the world and have been to other universities will agree with me that this policy is one of the best implemented in this university.  A university is an innovation centre for knowledge creation.  Without knowledge creation, there is no university. That is why we put efforts into creative research which is what is responsible for the riches of any university. It is integrity. It is excellence. As we do that, we do it with courage and we are not afraid of bad name. It is a matter of conscience.
As I leave office, I leave with no regrets. I leave, happy that I have worked with my conscience and have raised the profile of my colleagues. We have trained the best students. The best students possible. But when you visit other universities in other countries and compare them with Nigerian universities, there is something different. Our staff must not be bosses to students; rather our staff should be guides and developers to students. Our students should also respect their teachers.
I leave, happy that God has sent me on a divine mission and that mission was accomplished. I have already started reaping the fruits of my conscience. A few days ago, I had my first grand-son.


I leave with no grudges and no regrets. A visionary is usually far away from the followers to see clearly. I hope we can now appreciate this and give support to the next administration so that they can us to the Promised Land. They are going to face the same challenges we faced and your support would help see them through. Thank you all.”

Comments

  1. Wonderful speech and congrats to the V.C for his first grand son

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Professor Bartho. Minister of Petroleum Resources Appointment awaits you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts